Sunday, October 4, 2009

Crockpot Recipe -- HUNGARIAN GOULASH

My sister is amazing!  She homeschools three kids (8, 10, 13), is a professor and works full time (though she can work from home for some of that), is writing a book, and her husband is currently deployed to Iraq until June. She loves meals that fix themselves and I said I'd share this with her (and with all the busy people out there!)  This is currently one of my favorite meals and is very, very easy.  I serve it over noodles.

HUNGARIAN GOULASH:

Throw these ingredients in a crock pot:

beef stew meat in 3/4 inch pieces (sometimes I heat in oil and cook beef before putting in crockpot; sometimes I don't -- it depends on how busy I am that morning)
1 lg onion (I usually just use a half an onion and that turns out well)
1 can (14 1/2 oz of beef broth)
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste (I use something called pizza sauce here in Australia that is a tomato paste with spices in it)
2 cloves of garlic (recipe says finely chopped, I just 1/4 them and throw them in)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp salt

cook in slow cooker for 8-10 hours on low or 4 or so on high

30 minutes before serving:

1/4 cup water mixed with 3 T flour -- mix and stir into beef mixture
1 medium red bell pepper in 3/4 inch squares
a bunch of chopped up mushrooms (if desired)

**** It's much better in the crockpot than cooking it on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment